It can be a huge waste of time for both you and your family lawyer in Hamilton if you are unprepared for your first meeting. Not being prepared may also cost you money because it will take more time for the family lawyer to get up to speed on your legal issue.
First, the family lawyer will want to know who you are and what the best way to contact you is. The lawyer may also ask your personal and business background. It is important for you to write down anything that you think is relevant information and have it available for the lawyer. Also, make sure to bring along the documents that you have.
Sometimes, a family lawyer may also try to speed up the information gathering process by asking you to fill out a questionnaire in advance. If this happens, make sure to fill out the questionnaire and send it to the lawyer’s office before meeting with them.
Make a list of questions to take along with you to your meeting. It is important that you get along with the professional of your choice. You want to hire someone who is skilled, but you also have to feel comfortable with your lawyer. Questions you might ask a family lawyer in Hamilton include:
- What kind of experience do you have with family law? Have you handled family law matters similar to mine before? If yes, how many?
- Is family law your specialty, or just a part of your practice?
- What kind of resources can you provide me to help me get through my family law issue with as little stress as possible?
- Will anyone else in your team be working on my case? Can I meet them?
- How long have you been practicing family law?
- How do you charge? What is your hourly rate?
- In addition to the fees for your services, what charges do you expect will be involved?
- What’s your estimate of this family law matter’s total cost to me?
- How can I lower down the cost of my family law matter? Are there tasks that I can perform myself to minimize the amount you will charge me?
- What other services do you think I will require from you related to my family law matter, such as deeds and trusts, and how much will you charge me for them?
- Based on the information you have about my case, what do you think a judge would rule on it?
The answers to these questions should help you get an idea if the family lawyer in Hamilton you’re talking to is the one you should hire to solve your family law matter. Sekhon Law Office provides comprehensive legal services in the Greater Hamilton area, such as child custody & support, divorce and separation. Schedule an appointment with our family lawyers today.